There’s an old saying, “Kids don’t come with instruction books,” and sadly – it’s true. Parker Orthodontics, your Baton Rouge Orthodontist, knows the thought of orthodontics for your child might be daunting. It is a big decision and investment. To help alleviate some stress with the unknown, we’re sharing some helpful information for all the parents who feel lost when it comes to providing the best orthodontic care for your kids.
Visiting an orthodontist in Baton Rouge early – starting at the age of 7 – can sometimes provide early care that can prevent or lessen the time your child needs braces later in life – like during their teenage years when they want them the least.
The question is: how do you know if your child, who’s teeth may seem straight as an arrow, needs to see an orthodontist? Simply put, your child should see an orthodontist even if they don’t have any problems with their teeth.
Parker Orthodontics always gets asked “When is my child ready for braces?” The simple answer is it depends. The explanation is that each mouth develops at difference paces and no two are alike.
We can’t give a certain date, but early check-ins on jaw growth and monitoring your child’s progress helps us identify the right time to start treatment. For now, here are some common signs that should prompt you to make an appointment.
SIGNS YOUR CHILD SHOULD SEE AN ORTHODONTIST
- Your child lost their baby teeth early
- Your child lost their baby teeth late
- Your child sometimes has difficulty chewing or biting into food (not their sibling)
- Your child is or was a thumb sucker or finger sucker
- Some of your child’s teeth seem a bit crowded or misplaced
- Your child’s jaw shifts and makes sounds
- Your child often bites their cheek or the roof of their mouth
- Your child’s teeth meet abnormally or not at all
- Your child’s teeth are out of proportion to the rest of their face, either too large or too small
If you answered yes to more than one of the statements above, consider reaching out to us for an evaluation. By getting regular dental growth check-ups with Dr. Parker, we can determine the best time to begin treatment if it is necessary. We have four convenient office locations in Baton Rouge, Central, Gonzales and Donaldsonville.
Moral of this story: What you can fix now, will make tomorrow a lot easier to fix. And a lot less expensive!
Parker Orthodontics offers complimentary consultations in our four offices: Baton Rouge, Central, Gonzales and Donaldsonville. We conduct a full exam and discuss the process of getting started with braces. If you’d like to schedule an initial exam with Dr. Parker, please click here!